As a single mother of four children, I understand the struggle that many mothers face when trying to create balance and harmony in all areas of their lives.
For many years, I fought for this harmony in my own life and very often felt like throwing in the towel when it seemed as if my desires were just an unobtainable fantasy.
It is for this reason that I am committed to serving other mothers in a way that will help them uncover and unleash their full potential while creating a legacy for their children and fulfilling their desires to please God and live out His purpose for their lives.
After successfully completing my PhD as a single mother, starting my own non-profit, launching a small business and operating as a leader in church ministry, I have learned a few things that I would like to share with you.
The goal of this post is to help you begin to find harmony in your life as you endeavor to reach your full potential, create a legacy for your children and grow in your relationship with God. It is my hope that with the guidance that I will provide in this post, you will be able to avoid many of the pitfalls that I encountered on my personal journey.
Not only that, but if you decide you want to jump right into your process of achieving this much needed harmony in your own life, I have created a 7 day mini course that will lead you through the first step of this life long journey.
So, if you’re ready, let’s start the process!
THE FOUNDATION OF CREATING HARMONY IN YOUR LIFE–PLEASING GOD
The thing that is going to by KEY in creating harmony and success in all areas of your life is the foundation that you build. My success can be attributed to constantly building my relationship with God as the foundation that I have used to launch every other endeavor in my life. Without God as the firm foundation in my life, I am convinced that I would still be confused and going around in circles.
So, the first step to reaching your full potential, creating a legacy for your children AND pleasing God in your life is:
- Making God the center of your life. If you are striving to create harmony in your life that will cause EVERY area of your life to operate in sync, God must be the center of your decision making. Without building a strong relationship with God, you will lack the insight and wisdom that is needed to tie all areas of your life together in a way that creates long-lasting success.
So how do you go about making God the foundation and the center of your success? There are a few daily strategies that I have implemented that have helped me in keeping my balance in life even when situations and circumstances shift, which you can count on life happening.
A. Reading the Word of God daily. The Word of God serves as the guidance that you need in a world that is constantly sending mixed messages. This is crucial for your growth as well as the growth of your children. All mothers desire to serve as examples and role models that their children can imitate. If you want to create the best example for your children, make reading the word of God one of your daily practices.
B. Surround yourself with people who are where you desire to be spiritually. When you are seeking to grow in any area of your life, your surroundings can make or break you. If you are striving to grow closer to God and establish a strong spiritual identity, you have to be very careful of the company that you keep. You may not yet understand the power of relationships, but believe me they are a crucial element to your success.
C. Develop a prayer life. Prayer is simply communication with God. I get many questions from the women that I work with in relation to prayer and how to pray, etc. I want to offer you this one piece of knowledge that I share with everyone who asks me this question. There is NO right or wrong way to pray. Relationship with God is developed through constant communication. Talk to Him each and everyday just like you would your very best friend. As you establish a prayer life, your spirit becomes more sensitive to God’s guidance, which is crucial in your ability to fulfill your potential and create legacy for your children.
These are simply the basics of creating a foundation that will create harmony in your life and allow you to begin pursuing your full potential and creating the legacy that you desire for your children.
Let’s move on to talk a little about how to reach your full potential in life while maintaining harmony and balance.
HOW TO REACH YOUR FULL POTENTIAL
Once you have instituted the basic principles of creating relationship with God on a daily basis, He will begin to unveil to you your gifts, talents and abilities.
You will constantly hear me say in all of my teachings and trainings that most people are trying to find their purpose instead of trying to find out who they are. Purpose is unveiled as you spend time getting closer to God and allowing Him to shape and mold you into the person that He created you to be.
Your purpose is not something that has to be found. What you need to work to uncover is your identity and the true essence of who God has always intended you to be.
When you lack relationship with God, you will allow other people to define who you are and control the direction of your destiny. Once you dedicate yourself to the process of drawing closer to God, your confidence will soar. You will no longer feel uncertain about the direction that you should be taking in life.
So, let me give you a few simple strategies on how to reach your full potential:
- Love yourself enough to invest in YOU. This is a MUST when you are seeking to reach your full potential in life. Too often as mothers, we invest in everything and everybody EXCEPT for ourselves. The candid truth is that it will never happen if you don’t make up in your mind that this is necessary. Another thing that I believe many mothers don’t grasp the seriousness of is the fact that their children will NEVER reach their fullest potential if you don’t invest in you first!
- Develop a mindset for success. Mindset is the beginning and end of both success and failure. If you are serious about reaching your full potential in life, you have to create the mindset that’s needed to embrace everything that comes along with this journey. Yes it’s a journey and in order for you to press through every step of the way, your mind has to be prepared and set up for success.
I created another great free resource that is designed to help you jumpstart your mind for success. Check it out here!
HOW TO CREATE A LEGACY FOR YOUR CHILDREN
Now, let’s take a look at how to create a legacy for your children, which is the ultimate desire of every mother. What I have often seen time and time again, which saddens me, is that many mothers sacrifice the first two steps trying to accomplish this last step.
If you create a lifestyle where God is the center of your life and all of your decision making and you take the time to allow Him to give you the wisdom and insight needed to develop your personal gifts, talents and abilities, you will be in the best place to create a legacy for your children.
I am going to share with you some basic principles for creating a legacy:
- Teach your children the importance of having God as the center of their life. I contribute not only my success but the success of my children to their understanding of the importance of relationship with God. Many times we get caught up in developing our own relationship, and we figure that we will address that later with our children. This is the wrong mindset to take if you are striving to create a legacy. As you are growing in your relationship with God, you should also be teaching your children the same principles that you are learning throughout your process.
- Get your children involved in your vision. Each child has different gifts, talents and abilities. As a mother, you are a nurturer of their uniqueness. Encourage them to be comfortable in their differences. One way you can do this is by highlighting their gifts as they work with you in accomplishing your dreams and visions. For example, I include my children in both my ministry and business endeavors. I don’t force them to work in areas that don’t fit their unique abilities. However, I cultivate their strengths as I am striving to reach my fullest potential.
- Invest in your children’s gifts. As mother’s, it is our job to both encourage our children in their differences and take the time to invest in their gifts, talents and abilities. This does not have to always consist of spending money but sometimes that is necessary. If your child is a great singer, encourage him/her to sing at school, at church, at home, etc. My daughter is an amazing singer and dancer so I am constantly highlighting and acknowledging her gift and finding ways to allow her to display her gift to the world.
If this post has helped you in any way on your journey towards reaching your full potential, creating a legacy for your children AND pleasing God, please leave a comment below. I love to hear about where you are in your process and how I can assist you.
Be sure to share this with another mother!
Love & Blessings,